Instructions tested with Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) and Continuum’s Anaconda 4.1.1
Install Anaconda and iPython Notebook
1. Open the Terminal by clicking on the Spotlight magnifying glass at the top right of the screen, typing “Terminal” then clicking the Terminal icon.
2. Type the commands in red to go to the Downloads directory and download Anaconda 4.1.1. Anaconda may take a few minutes to download.
Downloads $ curl -O http://repo.continuum.io/archive/Anaconda2-4.1.1-MacOSX-x86_64.sh
3. Type the command in red to install Anaconda.
4. Press Enter to read the license agreement. Use Space to continue to the next page.
In order to continue the installation process, please review the license agreement.
Please, press ENTER to continue
5. Type yes to accept the license terms.
[no] >>> yes
6. Press Enter to install Anaconda to the default location.
- Press ENTER to confirm the location
- Press CTRL-C to abort the installation
- Or specify an different location below
8. Type yes to have Anaconda update your PATH.
creating default environment...
Do you wish the installer to prepend the Anaconda install location
to PATH in your /Users/username/.bash_profile ? [yes|no]
[no] >>> yes
Prepending PATH=/Users/username/anaconda/bin to PATH in
newly created /Users/username/.bash_profile
For this change to become active, you have to open a new terminal.
Thank you for installing Anaconda!
9. Open a new Terminal window by pressing ⌘-n.
10. Type the command in red to verified Anaconda was installed.
Python 2.7.12 :: Anaconda 4.1.1 (x86_64)
11. Type the command in red to update Anaconda.
Start iPython Notebook
1. Type the command in red to start iPython Notebook.