- Instructor: Alin Deutsch, lastname at cs dot ucsd dot edu -Office Hours: 4:00-5:00 on teaching days, 1:30-2:30 on non-teaching Saturdays
- TA: Costas Zarifis, zarifis at cs dot ucsd dot edu
- Office Hours: 4:00-5:00 on teaching days, 12:30-1:30 on non-teaching Saturdays
- Place: Rady School of Management, room 1S114 (on teaching days)
Announcements and Discussion Forum
Prior exposure to SQL (either in an introductory db class or programming experience, OK if only cursory)
The recommended textbook is “Database Systems: the Complete Book” by H. Garcia-Molina, J. Ullman and J. Widom.
This course covers the fundamentals of relational database management, with particular emphasis on
- Relational Data Model
- Database Design
- Query Processing
- Performance tuning (indexing, materialized views)
- Column Stores
- Parallel Databases (includes the Map-Reduce programming paradigm)
- Datalog (time permitting)
There will be 4 programming assignments, 2 written homeworks, a class participation grade and a final.