Types of HW
There will be three types of HW: Regular “R”, Scaling “S” and Descriptive “D”.
- Regular HW In regular HW your goal is to write correct code. Regular HW assignments require only the resources available on a common laptop. See here for more information on small homework assignments.
- Scaling HW In scaling HW you are given correct but inefficient code. Your goal is to write code that would run efficiently on a Spark cluster. You will be given data files whose size ranges from 100MB to 100GB, and for each size there will be a target compute time. Your goal is to come within the target running time. You will still develop the code on your laptop, but to test it on a spark cluster. HW will be submitted using the mechanism described here. Using the same mechanism students can test their HW prior to submission.
- Descriptive HW: The goal of this HW is to practice analyzing data and writing a comprehensive and understandable report. The grading of descriptive HW will be done using a combination of peer review and instructor review.
- Grading: Each HW will be graded on a scale of 0-100. The HW with the smallest grade will be dropped from the final class grade.
- Plagiarism: The solution you write has to be 100% your own. We will test for plagiarism both between students and by using web resources. If two (or more) students are judged to have a copied piece, they will both have points deducted. We will not attempt to judge who had the original solution and who copied. It is therefor your responsibility both not to copy and to make sure nobody copied from you.
All homework assignments will be distributed through github.
- Schedule: There will be one homework every week. Homeworks will be made available two at a time on fridays. They will be due by midnight between friday and saturday a week or two later, depending on the class.
|Assignment number||Assignment type||release date||Due date for CSE255||Due for DSE230|
- Submission deadlines: Not submitting HW within the deadline will result in a zero grade given to that HW.